Camp Ronald McDonald at Eagle Lake
Camp Ronald McDonald at Eagle Lake
successfully hosted its 20th summer camp program this year. It's hard to believe that just 20 years ago, we started with a crew of 30 campers, which has since turned into over 13,000! Celebrating the 20th year came with some fun activities! Camp Ronald McDonald held its 20th Annual Pancake Breakfast over Memorial Day weekend, which helped raise over $3,500 to help local kids attend camp. There was also a special Fourth of July Family Day this year, where over 80 parents and community members came and enjoyed their holiday participating in fun activities, such as archery and canoeing!
This year, our Campers spent a week under the sun enjoying various activities from arts and crafts, drama, sports, outdoor education, waterfront activities, and nutrition education. The campers also took pleasure in campfires, carnivals, talent shows, dances, Special Olympics, and enchanted night hikes. Camp Ronald McDonald, a beautiful layout and environment, is home to nine cabins, two shower houses, a dining hall, amphitheater, campfire pit, beach volleyball court, sand pit, dock and water front, basketball court, and plenty of grassy playing fields.
Our summer schedule included various programs, from: Camp ReCreation, Family Counseling Services, Camp Eagle Lake, Camp Signshine, Hanot Foundation, Camp Lots-A-Fun, and Lassen County Kids Week.
- Family Counseling Services celebrated its 16th summer this year, providing services to children who have been sexually abused. These campers participated in all the exciting activities of camp and were able to participate in group therapy that will lend the campers tools for the future.
- Camp ReCreation celebrated its 11th summer at Camp this year, a summer program with three different sessions filled with Stars, Stripes, and Olympics theme. Camp ReCreation provides campers with developmental disabilities the opportunity for fun, social interaction, skill development, and spiritual growth.
- For our 19th summer we held Lassen County Kids summer camp. Lassen County Kids is our local camp and serves children from the local community of Lassen County. This year we had a great turnout, with tons of campers and counselors showing up to participate in all the fun activities. Most of our counselors, who are such a big part of making our summer GREAT, came from Susanville and the Sacramento area.
- Camp Eagle Lake held an 8 day session this summer, for its 3rd year in a row. The Camp Eagle Lake program provides campers with developmental disabilities with a program that promotes individuality. For the second year in a row, they partnered with 4H Military Camps to include campers with special needs whose parents are in the military!
- For its 18th year, Camp Signshine offered a unique opportunity for those hearing impaired children, as well as their siblings and children of deaf parents, to interact with their peers in a fun, traditional, camp setting.
- Camp Ronald McDonald at Eagle Lake also hosts the Hanot Foundation which serves developmentally disabled adults and provides them with a warm, supportive, and loving environment that is the least restrictive for an adult individual. The Hanot Foundation celebrated its 13th year this summer!
- Camp Lots-A-Fun celebrated its first year at Camp Ronald McDonald with a week-long session this year for children, teens, and adults with developmental disabilities. This camp provided care for the families of the campers, while helping them develop their social interaction skills with fun camp activities!
And finally, a big shout-out and THANK YOU to all of our wonderful program specialists and food service interns! Our fantastic and creative camp counselors came from all over the world, including places such as Mexico, California, Michigan, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Texas!