Staying at the House
Ronald McDonald House Charities and the Sacramento Ronald McDonald House offer families facing a medical crisis a place to rejuvenate and re-group away from the hospital. Our goal is to provide a safe haven of comfort and support so that families are able to put 100% of their focus into their child's recovery.
Requirements for staying at the House
Below is information for families who are planning on staying at the Sacramento Ronald McDonald House.
Booking and Confirming a Room
- Families, including immediate or extended members, who live 30 miles or more away from the Sacramento area and have a child age 0-18 who is being treated as an inpatient or an outpatient at one of the five local hospitals are eligible to stay at the Sacramento Ronald McDonald House.
- The House serves the following hospitals:
- UC Davis Medical Center
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Kaiser Permanente
- Sutter Medical Center
- Mercy General
Length of Stay
- The first step in securing a room at the House is to have the child's doctor, nurse, or social worker send a referral over to the office. Staff at the House will then check availability based on your needs and will contact you or your social worker to confirm that space is available.
- Rooms are not guaranteed. Once the referral is received families are placed on a waiting list for the desired date of arrival. Rooms are booked approximately three to five days ahead of time.
- Rooms are available with a priority to pediatric/neonatal intensive care patient's families, followed by inpatient and acute outpatient families, and then general outpatient families.
- The maximum amount of time a family can stay at the House at one time is 30 days. Because the number of families needing temporary lodging is so high, a maximum stay is implemented in order for as many families as possible to utilize our services.
- Families staying for 30 days are asked to check out for seven days before submitting a referral for an additional stay.
- Families are able to check-in between 2:00pm and 8:00pm, Monday through Friday and Sunday on the first day of their reservation. Saturday check-in is between 2:00pm and 5:00pm with the office closing at 6:00pm.
- Check-out is by 11:00 AM at the end of the reservation. Families are required to strip the sheets and clean their refrigerator before checking out of the facility with a staff member.
- Families who have an extended stay are asked to check-in with the office each Monday morning before 11:00 AM in order to keep staff updated on possible check-out dates.
Rooms & Amenities
- Each family is asked to donate $20 per night or whatever portion they can afford. No one is ever turned away for their inability to pay. If a family is unable to pay any portion of their stay, the funds from the Adopt-A-Family Program will subsidize the cost.
- The Sacramento Ronald McDonald House is home to 18 families each night. There are two buildings on site with eight bedrooms each.
- Each family has access to the following:
- Private bedroom with a bathroom that holds a maximum of four guests.
- Community laundry room, dining room, family room, play room, living room, computer room, playground, and outdoor grill.
- Community kitchen with individual mini-fridge and food cabinet.
- There are also two two-bedroom apartments available for larger families.
- Each kitchen stocks non-perishable food items for the families staying in each housing building as available.
- Families are responsible for providing any other food items they need during their stay.
- Occasionally, outside community organizations may provide a meal for families staying at the House.
- UC Davis Medical Center is the only hospital that has consistent transportation from the Sacramento Ronald McDonald House.
- Shriners Hospital for Children provides transportation by appointment only.
- There are other public transportation options available in the area.
- The Sacramento Ronald McDonald House is located directly behind the UC Davis Medical Center and just down the street from Shriners Hospitals for Children.
- 2555 49th Street
Sacramento, CA 95817
- Map to Sacramento Ronald McDonald House
Guest Exit Survey
Encuesta sobre la salida del huésped